We all like to save on money and energy, thus we replace our old light bulbs, with the ones that are environment-friendly and energy saving. This is the so-called new generation of light bulbs. Still, what we probably have not been informed about is the toxicity of these new bulbs. The Environmental Protection Agency conducted an emergency protocol that has to be followed if the bulb breaks, because of the poisonous gas it relieves. If it breaks indoors, these bulbs release 20 times more than the maximum limit of mercury concentration in the air, according to data found in research from the German Federal Environment Agency.
Energy efficient light bulbs can be a cause of:
- Headaches and migraines
- Focus troubles
Why You Need to Return To Incandescent Bulbs
- These light bulbs are full of mercury which is a strong neurotoxin, specifically dangerous for children and pregnant women. It is very toxic for the brain, the whole nervous system as well as for the liver and kidneys. It can cause a damage in the immune, reproductive and cardiovascular system. The result may be tremors, insomnia, headaches, anxiety, memory loss and even cancer or Alzheimer’s.
- One research conducted at the Berlin Germany’s Alab Laboratory discovered that these type of light bulbs contain toxic carcinogens that may cause cancer. These include:
- Phenol: which is a mildly acidic poisonous white crystalline solid, obtained from coal tar and used in chemical production
- Styrene: which is an unsaturated liquid hydrocarbon, a byproduct of petroleum
- Naphthalene: which is a volatile white crystalline compound, created with the distillation of coal tar, otherwise used in mothballs and as a raw material for chemical production
- Energy efficient light bulbs actually emit UV-B and also UV-C radiation. It has been commonly accepted that UV radiation is dangerous for the skin because it can be one factor of causing cancer, and is also harmful for the eyes. This emitted radiation directly from energy efficient light bulbs is a direct attacker of the immune system and causes further damage of the issues of the skin in sufficient manner to have a byproduct of prevention of adequate creation of D3 vitamin.
To sum up, energy efficient light bulbs are dangerous to that extent that they we should not even have them in the regular trash can. They are an actual household hazardous waste. If one of these bulbs is broken inside the house, you are recommended to open all the windows and doors, and evacuate the house of minimum of 15 minutes, in order to minimize the exposure to this dangerous gas. Unfortunately, pretty soon consumers will not be able to buy incandescent light bulbs because they will not be produced anymore. The Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, makes phasing-out of incandescent light bulbs mandatory and is in favor of energy efficient compact fluorescent light bulbs.