Every woman at some point thinks about having a child and most of them like the idea. After getting married, getting pregnant is the goal for almost every woman that wants to be a parent.
There are some women that really want to have twins, but getting pregnant with twins under natural circumstances is unpredictable, although medical treatments such as IUI, IVF could mean conceiving twins. However, if you really want to know about natural ways to increase the chances of having twins, we provide some advice.
Most twins are fraternal, which means they were conceived when 2 eggs are being released during ovulation – basically they develop in 2 different eggs. Identical twins on the other hand are conceived in one egg that splits in two parts in early pregnancy. However, identical twins are rarely developed.
Increasing the chances for conceiving twins
Some things can increase the chances of having twins, although not everything can be controlled. If you have a family history of having twins, this will increase your chance of having twins. Some other factors may be ethnicity and age. For example, African American women have a lower chance to have twins, and older women have higher chances of the same.
- One recent study shows that women with a Body Mass Index (BMI) of 30 or more have higher chances of having twins.
- Older women are more likely to conceive twins, but also the risk of miscarriage is much higher in this group.
- One study findings show that women that were breastfeeding at the time they conceived had nine more times chance to conceive twins compared to women that did not breastfeed.
- If you consumed birth control pills, try to conceive shortly after you stopped taking them. If these pills were consumed for six months or longer, then the body adjusts to the pills which control the hormones. After stopping with the pills, the body starts to do hormone regulation by itself again and this can often mean too high stimulation which can cause the ovaries to produce and release more eggs, especially during the first or the second cycle of ovulation after the pills aren’t taken anymore.
- Women with right intake of dairy products increase the chance of conceiving twins by 5 times.
- Consume wild yams. This theory’s origin is from Africa. A small village in Nigeria claims to have the highest percentage of twins in the world. It is considered that there might be a chemical in wild yams or cassava root that may initiate hyper stimulation of the ovaries. The result is release of more eggs during the ovulation cycle.