You probably didn’t know, but you can grow orange tree in northern climates and even in the middle of the winter, inside your home or garage.
Very beautiful, orange tree has dark green leaves and snow-white blooms. You will love the refreshing fragrance that will spread through your home.
If you want to decorate your home with a orange tree, you will need the following:
- One organic orange (don’t use non-organic, because they have non-germinating seeds)
- Fertile potting soil with natural fertilizes
- A planting pot where you can plant your tree. It has to be at least 6 in wide and 6 in deep
- A seedling pot that has to be 24 in wide and 12 in deep
- A place in home that is sunny or with a grow lamp
Steps for Growing a Orange Tree
- Potting soil should be moisten, but not soaked all the way through.
- Put soil into the smaller pot until it is full to an inch below the rim.
- Remove the seeds from organic orange, and that means you should remove all the pulp from it.
- You should plant the seeds immediately, because it has to be moist when you buried in the soil. It has to be planted about 1/2 inch deep.
- When you plant the seeds, spray the soil above the seed with water.
- Put on the plastic wrap over the pot, and seal the edges with a rubber band. It should have small holes on the top. You poke them with a pencil.
- Place the pot in a sunny place in your home.
- You shouldn’t let the soil to dry out, but don’t over-water it.
- When the sprouting emerges, after one or two weeks, take cover off.
- Keep the soil damp, add a grow light if needed, making at least eight hours of light every day and put some organic fertilizer on it.
- Keep bugs and disease away from your plant and prune off brown and dead leaves. You can also use pesticide, if needed.
- Your plant will grow and eventually outgrow the small plant, so you will have to replant it to the bigger one. You will have to do all the steps above, but keep in mind that bigger plant requires more water, and more fertilizer.
In the end you will get a fruit-bearing tree. Yes, you can buy oranges on the market, but this way is healthier and you will learn some new experience. Plus, your home will be decorated and smell fresh.